Monday, June 11, 2018

An Old Betrayal by Charles Finch


Overview:


On a spring morning in London, 1875, Charles Lenox agrees to take time away from his busy schedule as a Member of Parliament to meet an old protégé's client at Charing Cross. But when their cryptic encounter seems to lead, days later, to the murder of an innocuous country squire, this fast favor draws Lenox inexorably back into his old profession.

Soon he realizes that, far from concluding the murderer's business, this body is only the first step in a cruel plan, many years in the plotting. Where will he strike next? The answer, Lenox learns with slowly dawning horror, may be at the very heart of England's monarchy.

Ranging from the slums of London to the city's corridors of power, the newest Charles Lenox novel bears all of this series' customary wit, charm, and trickery—a compulsive escape to a different time.

My Review:


This is the 7th book in the Charles Lenox series and if you read my review on the 6th book, you'll know that I was quite unhappy with the direction the series was going.  I also said that because I had already purchased the rest of the series, I would continue to read them, but they weren't a priority.  Well, I already finished the June pick of the Novel Adventures Book Club (review at the end of the month) so I figured I would give this series another try and I am glad I did.

This book finally gets back (almost) to why I enjoyed this series so much in the first place.  It was a good mystery and Charles spent way more time on it than he did his parliamentary duties.  There was also a significant drop off in his and Jane's ridiculous infatuation with their daughter.  She was more of a very-in-the-background character and I liked that.  She's there but not intrusive which is how it should be at this point.  

Anyway, as far as the story goes, I enjoyed that Dallington played a much bigger role and another character was added that I like very much and hope to see more of in future books.  The plot was interesting but could have been just a bit tighter and the pacing was just a tad too slow, with too much unnecessary detail in some places but overall, it was intriguing.  

The ending happened way sooner than it should have, as there were several chapters afterwards that just went through explaining things.  It would have been much better to have them as part of the action instead.  I understand why it had to be done the way it was, because it was Dallington who had to take care of that particular part but the series isn't written in first person so I don't see why we couldn't have followed him along during that journey but that is really a minor gripe.

Overall, I enjoyed this book much better and if the ending of this one is any indication, I think I will enjoy diving back into this series but I will keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment