Monday, May 28, 2018

A Death in the Small Hours by Charles Finch


Overview:


Charles Lenox is at the pinnacle of his political career and is a delighted new father. His days of regularly investigating the crimes of Victorian London now some years behind him, he plans a trip to his uncle's estate, Somerset, in the expectation of a few calm weeks to write an important speech. When he arrives in the quiet village of Plumbley, however, what greets him is a series of strange vandalisms upon the local shops: broken windows, minor thefts, threatening scrawls.

Only when a far more serious crime is committed does he begin to understand the great stakes of those events, and the complex and sinister mind that is wreaking fear and suspicion in Plumbley. Now, with his protege, John Dallington, at his side, the race is on for Lenox to find the culprit before he strikes again. And this time his victim may be someone that Lenox loves. 

My Review:


It has been quite some time since I last read a book in the Charles Lenox Mystery series by Charles Finch.  I was so disappointed in the last one that I put down the series for several years before finally picking it up again to see if distance would improve my thoughts.  Unfortunately, it didn't.  

In this book, Charles has been chosen to give a key speech in front of Parliament but with all the interruptions from people telling him what to include, he decides to escape with Jane and their daughter Sophia to the country estate of his uncle where he can write and think in peace and solitude.  When he arrives, however, he learns there has been a series of incidents that he initially brushes off as just local boys playing pranks but when a police constable is murdered, Charles realizes there is more going on and decides to help solve the murder.

It sounded like an exciting plot but it was clumsily done and very easy to figure out early on what was happening.  That in itself wouldn't normally be enough to turn me off because I enjoy the escape that reading provides but I just can't get past the character issues.  Charles obviously misses being a detective and it's absolutely Jane's fault that he can't pursue his passion because she thinks it is beneath their station.  That makes her a very ugly person because she has known him from a very young age and knew that he loved detecting just to help those who are considered inferior and have no legal recourse of their own.  She married him anyway and then proceeded to take away the very thing that made him who he was.  He is plainly miserable and that really comes through the pages.  

I also don't like the way Charles acts so stupid over his daughter Sophia.  It's very unrealistic for that time period and while I could forgive that, he just goes way overboard with it.  

I also wish that Dallington was more involved.  I like him and want to see more of him.  Since Charles is no longer allowed to be a detective, perhaps Mr. Finch would continue the series with Dallington.  I want to read about murder mysteries in Victorian England - not about a main character who is clearly miserable with his Parliamentary career and over-the-top enthused about his child.  

I never like my reviews to be so totally negative.  There's usually something I like about every book I review and if not, I generally don't post about it.  That being said, I am seeing a trend that I don't like in the mystery genre and am having a really hard time finding books that are engaging, suspenseful, historically accurate, and worth my time.  

Have you read this series?  What did you think?  Am I being too harsh or not critical enough?  Let me know in the comments below.  Also, I am totally open to suggestions for other books to read.  


No comments:

Post a Comment