Thursday, April 19, 2018

A Brush With Shadows by Anna Lee Huber


Overview:


July 1831. It's been fifteen years since Sebastian Gage has set foot in Langstone Manor. Though he has shared little with his wife, Lady Kiera Darby, about his past, she knows that he planned never to return to the place of so many unhappy childhood memories. But when an urgent letter from his grandfather reaches them in Dublin, Ireland, and begs Gage to visit, Kiera convinces him to go.

All is not well at Langstone Manor. Gage's grandfather, the Viscount Tavistock, is gravely ill, and Gage's cousin Alfred has suddenly vanished. He wandered out into the moors and never returned. The Viscount is convinced someone or something other than the natural hazards of the moors is to blame for Alfred's disappearance. And when Alfred's brother Rory goes missing, Kiera and Gage must concede he may be right. Now, they must face the ghosts of Gage's past, discover the truth behind the local superstitions, and see beyond the tricks being played by their very own eyes to expose what has happened to Gage's family before the moors claim yet another victim...

My Review:


This is the sixth book in the Lady Darby Mystery series.  It takes place only a week after the events in the previous book, As Death Draws Near, and I really like that.  It bothers me when a year or more passes (setting-wise) in a series because it makes me feel like I have missed a lot.  I have a whole post coming up about that so I won't go into a lot of detail here but because this book takes place immediately after the last one, it feels like a more smooth continuation and I enjoy that.  

In this book, Sebastian is forced to return to his childhood home and face his past which gives us more insight into his character.  He is very closed-mouth about it to Kiera - almost insultingly so - and it was nice to finally be able to learn a little more about it.  I know they have only been married three months but still, he seems to almost want to hang on to the bitterness and that can get a little annoying.  

The story developed nicely and at a good pace and the characters were well done.I also enjoyed the atmospheric details Huber put in that made the setting feel like a character in and of itself which helped to further the story along without getting in the way.  I will be interested to see if Kiera and Sebastian return to Langstone Manor due to a specific event that took place at the end, and if so, how the characters will interact with each other. 

There was one other event that happened at the very end which made me roll my eyes out loud and groan.  I obviously won't say what because I don't want to give away any spoilers but it nearly ruined what was otherwise a thoroughly enjoyable book but I guess I'll have to wait at least a year for the next book to see what happens.

Have you read this series?  What do you like/dislike?

No comments:

Post a Comment