Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Wicked Intentions by Elizabeth Hoyt


Overview:


A MAN CONTROLLED BY HIS DESIRES . . .

Infamous for his wild, sensual needs, Lazarus Huntington, Lord Caire, is searching for a savage killer in St. Giles, London's most notorious slum. Widowed Temperance Dews knows St. Giles like the back of her hand-she's spent a lifetime caring for its inhabitants at the foundling home her family established. Now that home is at risk . . .

A WOMAN HAUNTED BY HER PAST . . .

Caire makes a simple offer-in return for Temperance's help navigating the perilous alleys of St. Giles, he will introduce her to London's high society so that she can find a benefactor for the home. But Temperance may not be the innocent she seems, and what begins as cold calculation soon falls prey to a passion that neither can control-one that may well destroy them both.

A BARGAIN NEITHER COULD REFUSE

My Review:


Yes, you are on the correct blog.  No, this book is not about murder.  Well, it sorta is but we'll get into that later.  Yes, this is a romance novel.  Shocking, right?  One of my New Years' resolutions was to open up my literary horizons but I just can't bring myself to read chick lit like The Notebook or Young Adult (except Harry Potter).  I've tried both those genres and just couldn't stomach them and since my hubs is quite concerned that I have only ever read murder mysteries, I decided ease his mind and try some romance so here we are.

This is the first book in the Maiden Lane series and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised.  The story takes place in 1737 which I love because most romance novels seem to be set in the Regency period so right off the bat it had my interest.  It focuses on Temperence Dews, a widow who helps her brother run a foundling home for orphaned children in the slums of St. Giles.  There have been some killings in the area which are so gruesome that the residents can't believe a human would be capable of so they start calling the killer the Ghost of St. Giles.

Enter Lazarus Huntington, Lord Caire, who has begun investigating the murder of his mistress and asks Temperance to help him navigate through the area.  She agrees, but only because he offers to pay her handsomely and she desperately needs the money to save the foundling home and its children.  

Of course the pair fall in love but it isn't easy and it isn't really the main focus of the story.  The romance aspect was woven in beautifully so that it seemed like a natural progression and moved the story forward without being cliche. 

The characters were really well done in that they are flawed and seem realistic.  You can sympathize with Temperance for doing whatever is necessary to save the children in her care and that makes her relate-able. I have been having such an issue with characters lately so it was refreshing to actually read a story that had some who are well developed and believable.

The setting is gritty and hard and a nice break from the upper class one usually sees in this genre.

I was very surprised how much I liked this book and that may be due to the fact that it still focused on murder but the romance sub plot kept it from being too harsh.  I also have the next one in this series which I will be reviewing a little later.

If you are looking for a way to dip your toe into the romance genre, this book is a good way to do it.  The sex isn't over - the - top and distracting. It's there but there isn't too much and it feels natural.

Do you read romance?  Do you have any suggestions for me on how I can keep up with my resolution and not scare the hubs half to death?  Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment