Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Gettin' Cozy in Here


Today I want to talk a bit about cozy mysteries.  It's a genre that, while it isn't new, has really gained steam in the last few years and the picture above shows just a few of the ones in my collection. 

Like everything else, the cozy mystery certainly has changed A LOT over the years.  Think of where the genre's popularity (arguably) began with Agatha Christie's Miss Marple being a busy body in her little village nearly a century ago to where we are today with magical cats, ghost detectives, witches, and even chefs and bakery owners.  I don't think there is a single culinary dish or dessert that hasn't been used in a title in some way.

My question is this:  Is the cozy genre over-saturated with the same old themes?  It seems like all the ones I read in 2017 were mediocre at best and there wasn't a single new idea in the bunch.  How many times can we read about a bakery owner or chef solving one murder after another?  How many cats or witches or ghosts are enough?  All you really have to do is change the character names and locations and it's the same old story because the general plot and theme remains the same.  The only real exception to that is the Brewing Trouble Mystery series by Joyce Tremel.  I have really enjoyed this series but take that with a grain of salt.  I grew up not far from Pittsburgh where this series takes place so I am a little biased in that regard - plus I think that the premise is unique in that it is set in a Brewpub. 

Don't get me wrong - I do enjoy a good cozy but my first passion will always be historical mysteries.  Unfortunately, there aren't many of those on the market these days but I'll leave that topic for another day. 

In any event, what is your take on the Cozy genre?  Do you think there are too many of the same thing or not enough?  What unique ideas would you like to see or are you totally in love with cats and cookies?

Let me know in the comments what your thoughts are.  I am also open to suggestions for what to read so let me know what your favorite book or series is.

Make sure to follow me here and on Instagram @deathbynightshade1031.

2 comments:

  1. I agree! I do have a few cozy series that I enjoy, but there aren't a lot of options for anything new because they do all tend to start running together. It would be nice to see some new themes come to the cozy world!

    ReplyDelete